Thursday, April 9, 2015

Non-2089 Analysis Draft



Kanisha Dumas
Professor MGM
English Composition
4/7/15
Initially, to highlight my abilities as a rhetor outside of the 2089 Intermediate English course I chose to analyze my own personal twitter account. Twitter serves as a social media outlet that is brought upon from the exigencies of my daily life. In this situation, I am a rhetor myself and my discourse is directed to my followers.
This certain genre of discourse is different and more fluid or open compared to the academic discourse that I have composed in the 2089 Intermediate English course. First, there is a lesser need for a filter. In an academic setting, I am writing for a grade and there are requirements that need to be filled in order to receive a passing grade compared to being able to share my thoughts instantly through a tweet. Also, the audience in an academic setting is different. When I am composing in relation to the 2089 course, my intended audience is usually the highly educated professor and my fellow scholarly colleges. When I am using the services of Twitter, my intended audience are my followers who come from an ample variety of backgrounds and demographics. This factor of the audience also correlates with the dissimilarities between the structures of a tweet versus an academic paper. In an academic paper, there will be more adequate grammar, correct sentence formations and vocabulary. In a tweet I may abbreviate or use hash tags that would not be appropriate in a composition in the 2089 course.  
Furthermore, I chose to discuss my participation in Donate Life’s annual calendar in my portfolio.I chose this text because it embraces me as a more personal, vulnerable rhetor and highlights something that is very important to me. The Donate Life annual calendar is a tribute to organ donors, recipients and their families.  This year, I was able to have a month in the calendar that included a picture and a statement about my brother. Four years ago, I suddenly lost my younger brother, Taylor Dumas at the age of fourteen. His death was the hardest time of my life. I not only lost my sibling but I also lost my best friend. Being able to advocate for organ donation through being in the annual calendar has strengthen the memory of my brother and shows my just how proud of him. He is a hero of donation and is still impacting others lives in such a powerful, inspiring way.  
This discourse was similar to the texts that are created in the 2089 course because it was a little more formal. It had to use proper English etiquette. The statement that I created about my brother for the calendar was intended for an audience of anyone who is positive about the organ donation movement.  Then, it was also different due to the exigencies of the discourse. In an academic setting, I typically compose for the a scholarly purpose like a research paper or analysis of a prompt in comparison to the Donate Life Calendar, where it was more emotional and emotive.  

No comments:

Post a Comment